Orange Sun & Violet Moon Mala: Sunstone, Rainbow moonstone, Amethyst, 14k gold Spacer beads
Orange Sun & Violet Moon Mala
Materials: Natural gemstones (Sunstone, Rainbow moonstone, Lavender Amethyst) hand-knotted in 100% pure lavender silk, with a handmade pure silk tassel (orange and lavender mix).
It’s Mala Madness here at Xia Hunt Studios as I put my personal collection of handmade malas up for sale so that they can find their forever-homes…and I can clear some room to start making some new ones! I love making malas because they are meditative to make, spiritually powerful to work with, and beautiful to wear...for the last few years I have been making them for myself and my loved ones, and now I would like to share my labor of love with all of you!
What are malas?
Malas, also called mantra beads, meditation beads, or Buddhist prayer beads, are spiritual tools used to count intentions, prayers, mantras, or breaths during periods of focused meditation. They consist of 108 beads, not including the meru or “mountain” bead (also referred to as the “guru bead”) at the end.
This last bead is usually the largest and signifies the beginning and end of the counting process and meditative session. Focusing on the Meru bead before and after meditation is a way to pay respect to the personal teachers or gurus we have been blessed with throughout our life, but it also helps us stay grounded. It reminds us to remain humble as we seek out our innate connection to the True Teacher to which we are all connected: the divine, creative, universal, energy of life itself.
Why 108 beads?
The mala consists of 108 beads, not including the Meru Bead and/or any decorative spacer beads, which are simply used to aid in the counting process. These 108 beads can be stylistically broken up in many different patterns according to preference or adherence to a specific tradition, but typically there will always be 108 main beads. This is because 108 is a sacred number in many traditions, and it was because of this renowned sacred number that I also made 108 cards, corresponding Sigils, and affirmations in The Nameless One (A Tarot & Oracle Deck).
This number 108 is sacred for many reasons, here are just a few:
- The diameter of the Sun is about 108 times the diameter of the Earth
- The distance from the Sun to the Earth is about 108 times the diameter of the sun
- The average distance of the Moon from the Earth is about 108 times the diameter of the Moon.
- In astrology, there are 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 x 9 =108
- In some Yogic traditions, there are said to be108 pressure points in the human body, as well as 108 names of the goddess, and 108 energy lines throughout the body that become one as they connect at the heart
- In numerology, the number 1 represents the Self, The Ego, as well as the singular universal energy that connects all of life/ creation, and Higher Truths, while 0 represents potential, the cosmic void, the beginning /end of all things, as well as spiritual completeness or emptiness, while 8 represents infinity, eternity, and universal abundance.
Xia Hunt Malas
My "Xian malas" are in a new style that I have designed myself after years of personal experimentation. They retain the traditional 108 beads but are broken up into three parts or segments of 8, 18, and 28 beads on each side of the Meru bead. They are as follows:
The 8 Base beads
These 8 beads are on each side of the Meru Bead (16 in total) represent abundance, manifestation, spiritual attainment, and infinite potential. In this case, the 8 Base beads are 6mm in size using extra flashy Rainbow Moonstone.
Rainbow Moonstone metaphysical properties:
• Promotes growth, strength, and emotional stability • Improves intuition • Inspires success • Brings good fortune in love and business • Protects travelers, especially women and children • Aids in healthy childbirth • Calms anxiety and promotes good dreams • Enhances creativity • Improves romantic relationships
The 18 Central beads
These 18 Central beads (36 in total) are sometimes set in between a decorative spacer segment, in this case, using 6mm Sunstone, 8mm Rainbow Moonstone and 3mm 14k SOLID gold spacer beads.
These Central beads represent an increase in vitality and prosperity--especially in the areas of life the corresponding gemstones resonate with. The number 18 is a sacred number, especially in Jewish traditions, where it is said to be linked with life and lifeforce. In this case, they are made up of beautifully pale 6mm lavender Amethyst.
Metaphysical properties of Amethyst:
Metaphysical properties of Sunstone:
• Enhances confidence and optimism • Awakens potential • Improves leadership skills • Strengthens ability to overcome adversity • Awakens the subconscious • Helps regain life’s pleasures • Improves the metabolism
The 28 Higher Beads
These 28 Higher beads (56 total) connect at the back and form a seamless transition, representing completion, elevated thought, realignment, and greater understanding. For this reason, I tend to use the same type of beads for the Base beads as for the Higher beads--as this symbolizes a true, unified, and elevated understanding or integration of the energies used in the beginning. In this case, these beads are again made up of Rainbow Moonstone.
The Meru Bead
As discussed above, the meru or “mountain” bead (also referred to as the “guru bead”) is at the end, the largest bead in the mala, not counted among the 108 beads, and signifies the beginning and end of the counting process and meditative session.
Focusing on the Meru bead before and after meditation is a way to pay respect to the personal teachers or gurus we have been blessed with throughout our life, but it also helps us stay grounded. It reminds us to remain humble as we seek out our innate connection to the True Teacher to which we are all connected: the divine, creative, universal, energy of life itself.
In this mala, I have knotted two Meru Beads together, a uniquely shaped amethyst, and a sparkling Sun Stone.
All the malas here at Xia Hunt Studios I have made by hand, using personally selected, top quality, all-natural gemstones, which were imbued with intention during the knotting process. The thread is 100% natural genuine silk, as are any tassels at the end. They come in a beautiful pouch, with a handwritten thank you and a small gift intuitively selected by me, for you, to show my appreciation for your support. Please know that these malas are made with love, attention, and intention. They are made to last.
Rest assured knowing that if for any reason your mala breaks or is damaged, you can send it back to me and I will repair it for you free of charge. You handle the shipping, and I will handle the rest. ( This includes replacing any damaged gemstones and reknotting the mala using new silk if needed.)