The Children of Litha Tarot
A richly illustrated tarot deck by Alexandria Huntington featuring mythological creatures and nature based symbolism. Each of these cards has been lovingly and painstakingly hand illustrated specifically for Tarot. Each card is a product of specialized mediation, manifestation, and magick. The deck includes 80 cards, 78 are re-imaginings of the traditional Rider-Waite Tarot and the 2 additional "bonus" cards of original design: "The All" and "The Void".This brings the deck to a round 80, which in numerology is considered the number of destiny.
"The deck is stunning ... gorgeous artwork, gorgeous bracelet, gorgeous everything! Even the packaging was first rate in every way! I felt like I was unwrapping mystical and rare jewels."
"I have owned several decks over the years. While I loved them, none of them connected with me in the way this deck has. The art is amazing as is the book that works with them. I cannot say enough good things about it."
"These are heart-stoppingly gorgeous Alexandria, thanks so much for creating these! It was pleasant surprise to see darker skinned characters there as well."
About the deck
My primary inspiration for this deck was to explore humankind's relationship with nature. I was especially influenced by ancient cross cultural mythologies. I was always amazed by how societies separated by both miles and millennia all feared, respected, and revered the animals they shared the planet with. As a result, The Children of Litha is a diverse group of illustrations that seeks to blur the distinction between the "human" and the "primal" in an attempt to unite these two and unlock our divine potential.
The Major Arcana (or Trump cards) are the foundations of the tarot. These are the gods and goddesses of the deck, and as such they represent cosmic, karmic, universal forces or changes and present profound and overarching life lessons. The figures in these cards are all some kind of animal-human hybrid (with few and purposeful exception). This is because they unite the themes of the human condition and the universal, primal energies of nature.
The Aces, or “Root cards” are the root or essence of each suit. The skeletons in each Ace are of an animal from their domain and represent the core or foundations of their power. The bones are, after all, what we leave behind: they are our truest form after life and death have stripped us of all that is superfluous and superficial. They are our foundations, and so too are the Root cards the foundations of each suit.
Court cards, or “face cards” refer to The Page, The knight, The Queen, and The King of each suit. If the major Arcana can be thought of as the divine, and the Aces as the "elemental spirits" just below them, then the court cards represent the people living powerfully in that physical plane the next tier down. This is signified by human figures interacting with their animal companions, highlighting the relationship humans share with their animal counterparts in the mortal plane.
Pip cards, also called “numbered cards” are the common yet important day to day themes expressed by each suit and element. These cards are the events, people, and themes you are interacting with in your life – potentially at this very moment. They deal with everyday conflicts, decisions, emotions, and experiences. Representing these are the animals of their elemental domains:
- Cups bring forth the finned creatures of the ocean and sea; they offer their heart if not their clarity.
- Swords bring forth the winged ones of clouds and sky; through their eyes we see who may fall and who may fly.
- Pentacles bring forth those of the earth with hoof or horn; with their stewardship may none go forlorn.
- Wands bring forth creatures of fang and claw; they who hold the flame of life and death within their jaw.
- 80 fully illustrated cards (the traditional 78 of the Major and Minor Arcana in the Rider Waite-Smith tradition of tarot reading + two additional cards only included in this first edition printing)
- 350gsm Cardstock (super thick luxurious cards stock) Matt finish (no finger prints, easy non-stick shuffling)
- 2.75”x4.75” (70x120mm the standard tarot size for manageability and comfort while handling)
- Gold edges (for that classy regal look)
- Hard Flip box with sturdy magnet (to close, secure, and protect your deck while traveling or whenever)
- Full color (That means the box is just as beautiful on the outside as it is on the inside)
- Gold foil accents (to match the regal gold edges of the cards)
- 180 page book that includes full color printing, descriptions, interpretations, and specialized incantations for of all of the cards, suggested spreads, and gold foil accents on the cover to match the cards and the box.
- Fits inside the box.