The Moon Dragon Mala
The Moon Dragon Mala
Materials: Natural gemstones (Aquamarine & white jade) hand-knotted with 100% pure white silk, with an excellent quality carved white jade dragon focal bead and solid sterling silver spacer beads near the focal bead only.
This beautiful mala was inspired by the dragon, a creature so powerful he is often thought akin to the divine. Blessed with spiritual strength and a wisdom byond mortality, the dragon is a symbol of freedom, immortality, and power. The dragon can be the ultimate protector, or the undefeatable foe, depending on which side of his fangs one finds oneself.
What are malas?
Malas, also called mantra beads, meditation beads, or Buddhist prayer beads, are spiritual tools used to count intentions, prayers, mantras, or breaths during periods of focused meditation. They consist of 108 beads, not including the meru or “mountain” bead (also referred to as the “guru bead”) at the end.
This last bead is usually the largest and signifies the beginning and end of the counting process and meditative session. Focusing on the Meru bead before and after meditation is a way to pay respect to the personal teachers or gurus we have been blessed with throughout our life, but it also helps us stay grounded. It reminds us to remain humble as we seek out our innate connection to the True Teacher to which we are all connected: the divine, creative, universal, energy of life itself.
Why 108 beads?
The mala consists of 108 beads, not including the Meru Bead and/or any decorative spacer beads, which are simply used to aid in the counting process. These 108 beads can be stylistically broken up in many different patterns according to preference or adherence to a specific tradition, but typically there will always be 108 main beads in total. This is because 108 is a sacred number in many traditions, and it was because of this renowned sacred number that I also made 108 cards, corresponding Sigils, and affirmations in The Nameless One (A Tarot & Oracle Deck).
This number 108 is sacred for many reasons, here are just a few:
- The diameter of the Sun is about 108 times the diameter of the Earth
- The distance from the Sun to the Earth is about 108 times the diameter of the sun
- The average distance of the Moon from the Earth is about 108 times the diameter of the Moon.
- In astrology, there are 12 signs and 9 planets. 12 x 9 =108
- In some Yogic traditions, there are said to be108 pressure points in the human body, as well as 108 names of the goddess, and 108 energy lines throughout the body that become one as they connect at the heart
- In numerology, the number 1 represents the Self, The Ego, as well as the singular universal energy that connects all of life/ creation, and Higher Truths, while 0 represents potential, the cosmic void, the beginning /end of all things, as well as spiritual completeness or emptiness, while 8represents infinity, eternity, and universal abundance.
This mala is made in a seamless line of 108 aquamarine beads that gradually fade into white jade beads for a seamless meditation experience.
Metaphysical properties of silver, white jade, and aquamarine:
Silver is connected to Moon energy, and represents the feminine principal, receptivity, emotion, acceptance, and nourishment. Aquamarine is a stone of courage, and promotes emotional honesty, release stress, temper conflicts and promotes emotional healing. White jade helps channel the energies around it and direct them towards one’s higher purpose.
All the malas here at Xia Hunt Studios I have made by hand, using personally selected, top quality, all-natural gemstones, which were imbued with intention during the knotting process. The thread is 100% natural genuine silk. They come in a beautiful pouch, with a handwritten thank you to show my appreciation for your support. Please know that these malas are made with love, attention, and intention. They are made to last.
Rest assured knowing that if for any reason your mala breaks or is damaged, you can send it back to me and I will repair it for you free of charge. You handle the shipping, and I will handle the rest. ( This includes replacing any damaged gemstones and reknotting the mala using new silk if needed.)